Saturday, September 1, 2012

Simple Snickerdoodle Cookies

Today was successful in the kitchen - maybe because I started out with a positive attitude?

Thanks to my friend, Sara, and her delicious snickerdoodle cookie recipe, I was able to make these yummy treats this afternoon.  My favorite thing about these cookies are that they only require 1 egg and are super fast to cook (about 10 minutes prep and 8 minutes in the oven!)

Here is the finished product: 


Here are the super easy (even for me!!) cooking directions:
    Ingredients:

· 1/2 cup butter
· 3/4 cup sugar
· 1 large egg
· 1 3/8 cups flour (3/8 = 1/4 + 2 T)
· 1 teaspoons cream of tarter (I didn't have this, so I just left it out and I think it tastes okay!)
· 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
· 1/8 teaspoon salt
· 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
-1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon (I used extra cinnamon because Drew and I love cinnamon...you can't really ever have too much cinnamon, right...?)
Easy (!) Directions:
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 (my oven doesn't have a temperature gauge, so I just put it on the hottest setting).
2.  Cream butter, sugar, and egg in a large bowl:

 
        3.  Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cream of tarter (I didn't include cream of tarter) into a  separate bowl.
4.  Blend dry ingredients into butter mixture:
5. Chill dough and a separate, ungreased cookie sheet ( I don't have a cookie sheet here in Madagascar, so I used an oven-safe  pan...seemed to work okay!) into the fridge for about 10 minutes (I have to get creative with space in my small refrigerator!)

6.  Meanwhile, mix about 1 1/2 cup of sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon (I used about 2 tsp) in a small bowl.
7.  Remove dough and cookie sheet from fridge and roll 1 inch balls of dough into the sugar/cinnamon mixture.
8.  Place on chilled cookie sheet and bake in oven for 8 minutes (you may need to cook up to 10 minutes...my oven just cooks very hot, very quickly).

And....ta da - yummy, super soft snickerdoodle cookie goodness:

Moreover, the real test for me was what I call "The Hubbie Test": Whether or not Drew likes it....

First bite....(he looks so nervous! Poor guy, I've put him through a lot of bad dishes)....
And the verdict???

 He loved them!! Woo hoo! It's been a good day in the kitchen :)

4 comments:

  1. :-) so glad you liked them! I really enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you've found your roles in the kitchen -- Drew makes the main dish, and you make the desserts! Seems like a win-win to me, no?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Tessa!
    Mom - yeah, that's how it normally works out! My goal now is to be able to do the main dish and the dessert!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment!