Thursday, February 21, 2013

New look, new purpose


 I have decided it's time to re-vamp my blog and give it a new, better purpose.  Up until now, it has just been a random mix of my cooking, sewing, crafting, and other attempts at domestic perfection. I now realize that I have been trying too hard to be perfect at those things and that that is not a good/realistic goal nor does it utilize my gifts and talents to help encourage others and glorify God in all that I do (which is what I really would love for this blog to do!) 

Upon thinking about the new purpose of this blog, I thought about our interests and passions as individuals, as a married couple, and as followers of Christ.  Some of these include:
SIMPLE LIVING (fighting against materialism and using our resources to glorify God)
MISSIONS (Here we are in the Dominican Republic 1 week before we were married!)


JUSTICE for the Poor (This is copyright & from an awesome artist. Check her out here)

Then I thought about how I could use this blog to encourage others in a creative way, and I decided that I will write about our adventures as a married couple trying to live a simple life (fighting against materialism and selling-out) and pursue our passions of missions, empowerment, and justice for the poor and least of these.  So, as part of my first post in my newly re-purposed blog, I will leave you with this thought from one of my favorite books, Generous Justice, by Timothy Keller:

"We do justice when we give all human beings their due as creations of God.  Doing justice includes not only the righting of wrongs, but generosity and social concern, especially toward the poor and vulnerable.  This kind of life reflects the character of God."
 
I encourage you to take time today to treat others with "generosity and social concern"  and really look into the eyes of the poor and the socially-outcast.  I will do the same, and I would love to hear your thoughts on how this goes for you today, as well as any comments you have about my blog's new look and purpose.  I'm excited to share our journey with you!

6 comments:

  1. I like the new look and purpose. We have been on the journey to simplify too. I am excited for your up coming posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Sara! I always enjoy reading your blog, too; you are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yah!! i love it :) can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Nickolee! Nickolee & Sara, could you go to the right hand side of this page,hover near the toolbar, and click on the top gray box that says "followers" and follow my blog? It would make my day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your rebranding! And I love following along on your adventure!
    www.texaslovely.com

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment!