Friday, September 7, 2012

Homemade Tortillas

Yesterday, I was in the mood for Mexican food, so I made a Mexican dinner Madagascar-style! I cooked some chicken, beef, rice, and sauted some green peppers, tomatoes, and onions.  Then, I decided to try to make homemade tortillas to complete the meal.  I think they turned out pretty well! Here is how I made them:

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups Flour
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • ½ teaspoons Baking Powder
  • ⅓ cups Oil
  • 1 cup hot water
Directions: 

Mix the flour, salt, and baking powder. Add the oil and mix with your fingers until all the oil is incorporated and the mixture looks like fine crumbs. 
 Add 1 cup of hot water and mix until a ball is formed.
Cover with plastic wrap and let the dough rest for about 30 minutes.  You can also refrigerate the dough overnight and make the tortillas the next day.
Divide the dough into 12 balls and roll out one at a time on a floured surface. Brush off excess flour.
I  used a glass to help roll out the dough into thin tortillas.If you have a rolling pin, that would work best, I think.
Cook on a hot, un-greased griddle over medium-high heat. 
Turn the tortilla when brown blisters form on the first side.  It will look like this:
Stack the tortillas and serve warm.
It took me a while to get the tortillas rolled out flat enough before putting them on the stove, and then I also went through several attempts at turning the tortillas when they blistered...they would either burn or be under-cooked.  I would definitely recommend making extra dough to practice with on the stove!
 
All in all, they tasted great with the Mexican dinner and I got positive feedback from several people. This will definitely be a recipe that I try out again. :)

1 comment:

  1. I love homemade tortillas! I had the same problem with burning some at first, but I learned to turn the heat way down after the first couple.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment!